Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Pipeline workers in my backyard


Misty morning at Baytown Nature Center with industry on the horizon.
 When you live near Baytown, there is no escaping the fact that petrochemical companies rule.

Refineries even surround the Baytown Nature Center. BNC visitors can get a jolt when the refineries do their weekly tests of the emergency sirens.
Chevron gave us a rain gauge.


If it is Wednesday, it's just a test. If the horns start blasting at midnight on a Friday, it may be time to run or shelter in place, depending on what has gone wrong.

Since January Chevron has been ripping up, repairing and adding pipeline along an easement near our house.

It has been loud and messy. Most importantly it has blocked my view and access to a tiny wild patch that goes down to Slap Out Gully, which dumps into Burnet Bay.

The good news is that the workers are moving out. Today I got a glimpse of water from my back fence. I can't wait to douse myself in mosquito repellent and go exploring. -- Lana b

The land is scarred, but the equipment is leaving.




No comments:

Post a Comment