Friday, May 31, 2013

A snake in the night

A bad night photo of the slim snake.

A Gulf Coast ribbon snake seems to be feasting on my toad eggs and tadpoles.

Last year a ribbon snake played keep-away with me during the day around the pond and compost heap, but I had not seen one this year until I went out after dark to check the pond for critters.

I was trying to get a photo of a trio of toads deciding how to pair off when I noticed a ribbon snake in the water about 2 feet away also was watching.

The snakes, which are about as thick as my little finger, have lightning speed. I was surprised this one was lingering near me. It looked about 18 inches long.

Finally the ribbon snake had enough and broke up the ménage à trois by swimming toward area near the bank where the toads had been sitting. I wanted to use the word "frolicking" rather than "sitting" to describe the toads' antics, but there wasn't much action. I guess the snake and I got bored with this trio about the same time.

I think the ribbon snake was looking for eggs. It made a few passes before rocketing away. -- Lana b

Here is a much better image of a ribbon snake photographed by TexasDarkHorse / Flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment