Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Stalking a heron

The Yellow-crowned Night Heron likes to eat crawfish and crabs.
 I thought it liked me.

As I walked toward the shoreline at Burnet Bay, the Yellow-crowned Night Heron didn't take flight. It just looked at me. Its sweet head feathers were fascinators.

As I edged forward, I looked away. My theory at that moment: If we don't make eye contact, the heron won't dodge my approach.

I just wanted to grab a quick shot of my new friend with my point-and-shoot camera. No drama.

The shorebird turned its head my way when I lifted the camera, and I knew it was over. I backed away. Rejected again.

The heron seemed to ignore me as I retreated.

I guess it didn't like me that much. -- Lana b

"Human, admire my feathers and yellow legs but don't get too close."

No comments:

Post a Comment