Friday, August 22, 2014

Native sedge vs the invasive

This week's topic at Wetland Plant Identification class was Cyperaceae. It's all Latin to me.

The class covered flat sedges, spikerushes, beakrushes, bulrushes, true sedges and saw grass used in local wetland restoration. My spinning brain couldn't take in all of it.

My main goal was to learn the difference between Cyperus virens/Green Flatsedge and Cyperus entrerianus/Deep-rooted Sedge.

Cyperus virens is a native. Cyperus entrerianus is an invasive that displaces our natives. You see both plants in ditches and wetland areas.


The invasive is on the right.

The Deep-rooted Sedge, native to South America, was introduced into the United State around 1990.
It has spread rapidly through roadside mowing, construction and agricultural activities.

Seeing the sedges side-by-side, I can see the difference. However I will probably still ask for a sample stem to take with me into the field for comparison on seed collection days.

3 comments:

  1. So what do you look for to ID the deep rooted vs the green flatsedge? I am in a 'discussion' with Tom Solomon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, a ranger told me that if all three edges of the sedge are sharp, it is the native. The invasive is more of a V-shape with one sharper edge. Does that jibe with Tom's thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I'd like to use your photograph for a training. Will you please email me at ramurray{at}hotmail.com? I'll tell you more. THanks!

    ReplyDelete