Sunday, August 25, 2013

Leaving the nest: a Mississippi Kite


Mississippi Kite tests its wings.

David and Jan H. have been watching a Mississippi Kite chick grow up in their Chambers County back yard.

David writes:
OK, this is probably the last pictures I will post because the chick is no longer changing in appearance, and I finally was able to get some flying pictures the last two days.

Its forays into the sky are already getting a little longer. Still not strong enough to leave yet, I don't think.

Yesterday I saw its longest and highest spin around the skies above the yard I had seen yet.

It was fun to watch this bird grow up and now it is starting to perform some maneuvers in the sky testing its wings. I actually think we saw it catch an insect yesterday afternoon while flying around.
Chicks grow up so fast. Photo taken July 22, 2013.
Chick surveys its domain. Photo taken Aug. 20, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment