Sunday, July 9, 2017

Nighthawks and gators at Anahuac wildlife refuge


What are you stopping for?
This little Nighthawk was sitting in the middle of the paved one-way loop around Shoveler Pond at Anahuac National Wildlife Refuge.

Actually I didn't know what kind of bird it was so I posted the pic to iNaturalist. Almost immediately three birders responded: Common Nighthawk (Chordeiles minor). I'm sure they also rolled their eyes when I listed it as some type of "bird."

This pic was taken from the driver's side of the car. When I got out on the passenger's side to see if I could get a better angle, it flew away.

Did it think it was camouflaged on the roadway? Bird guides say Common Nighthawks are usually hard to see when they land and like to nest on gravel roofs.

We also played spot the alligator while we were wandering the park.

This baby gator made a noise, otherwise it probably would not have been spotted.

It's pretty cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment