Sunday, June 25, 2017

I'm concerned about sad dove

What happened to your neck?
I see doves around the bird feeder all the time. They all look the same to me although I've noticed that the white-winged doves will get on the feeder while the mourning doves prefer to stay on the ground.

This week as the rain threatened a strange dove came for a visit. It's been hanging round for the past three days, and I've started thinking of it as sad dove.

At first its distinctive dark color caught my attention. But when I looked closer, I noticed it had lost feathers around its neck. It looks thin compared to the other doves.

What's your story, sad dove? I wonder.

I've started watching for sad dove. It keeps its distance until most of the other birds have left then it approaches the feeder for seeds that have fallen to the ground. In my imagination I've decided the other doves are being mean to sad dove.

When it started raining Saturday, all the birds left the feeder so sad dove moved in.

Sad dove alone pecking under the feeder in the rain. Awww.

This morning sad dove was back although it wasn't near the feeder. But I just looked out the window and didn't see it. I hope it comes back.

It makes me a little sad when I don't see sad dove.

Wet and thin.
It doesn't let me get close for pics.
Mourning dove with sad dove.
White-winged dove with sad dove.

2 comments:

  1. Now I am worried about sad dove. Do you think this it is old, ill or both. Mother nature is not always kind.I hope it returns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what the problem is. I saw it again this Monday evening.

    ReplyDelete