Friday, April 29, 2016

I covet rocks

Layers of geological history at Caprock Canyons.
Along the Canyon Loop Trail of Caprock Canyons State Park, you can get an up-close look at the layers of red rocks and gypsum.

It was amazing to walk beside the layers jutting out along the creek bed that had some standing water from overnight rain.

I saw several chunks of gypsum that I wanted to take home. That glistening rock would look great in my yard, I thought.

But I know the rules.

According to the Texas State Parks and Wildlife Commission:
It is an offense for any person to take, remove, destroy, deface, tamper with, or disturb any rock, earth, soil, gem, mineral, fossil, or other geological deposit except by permit issued by the director. 
I didn't take any home, but I did pick up a couple of rocks to admire. Don't tell the "rock disturbance rangers."


More layers and loose rocks.
Look at that great rock. But I can't take it home.

No comments:

Post a Comment