Sunday, February 21, 2016

Uncovering creatures in the compost pile


Found this fat grub at the bottom of the compost pile.

When I decided to move the compost pile to the back of the yard, I didn't expect to disturb so many critters.

In addition to earthworms and smaller grubs, I found a couple of giant grubs and some reptiles when I invaded their winter home.

These big grubs are larvae for Rhinoceros beetles.
I relocated the sluggish Gulf Coast toad under a rock ledge and put compost on top if it. I expect to hear its croaks in a couple of months.
The rough earth snake slithered under some leaves after I uncovered it.
The Skink was so fast I couldn't get a good pic.
Bottom of the pile. Yes, that is a headless giraffe that was stuffed behind the compost bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment