Thursday, June 18, 2015

Birds are served fish soup


 These birds were waiting for me to pass so they could go back to their fish buffet.

After two days of rain and minor flooding, it was a gray morning on the trails at Baytown Nature Center.  These noisy birds were not happy to see me.

As I got closer to their perch, I found the tire rut along my path was filled with water teeming with trapped little fish. The fish had been washed into the puddle and couldn't escape.

Sad for the fish, but happy time for the birds.

I didn't see any other fish-filled puddles. Either this was the only place it happened, or birds had cleaned out the other puddles.

The puddle on the left had about 30 little fish trapped.
They were less than an inch long.
This tiny toad (black spot in the center) was hopping nearby. I hope he wasn't dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment