Thursday, April 9, 2015

Endangered Attwater's prairie chickens' crazy mating dances



Attwater's Prairie Chickens are in breeding mode at the NASA facility maintained by the Houston Zoo to save the coastal bird.

We were on a tour to see the endangered birds, and they didn't disappoint.

The males are booming and showing off for the females. When anyone approaches a pen, the males come to the front to protect their females.

Booming is the sound the birds make when they inflate their yellow air sacs.

The zookeeper said the males' eye hoods get brighter during mating season.

A single-minded Attwater's prairie chicken performs its mating dance.
I didn't get a good pic of the shy females. They like to stay at the back of the pens when strangers are around.

With the loss of coastal prairie, the population of Attwater's Prairie Chickens dropped. Approximately 100 are now in the wild.

At one time about a million of the birds were spread across 6 million acres along the coastal bend, according to the Texas Parks and Wildlife website.

The zoo's breeding program raises Attwater's Prairie Chickens to join the wild populations. 

Progress has been slow. Re-population efforts have had to deal with with hurricanes, drought and fire ants, which can wipe out the birds' food sources.
This bird shaking its tail feathers is part of the grouse family.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I'm interested in contacting the photographer of these images. Can you help me?

    Thanks,

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I'd figured I'd ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest authoring a blog article or vice-versa? My blog addresses a lot of the same topics as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other. If you are interested feel free to shoot me an email. I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by the way!
    morning desert safari dubai

    ReplyDelete