Monday, April 21, 2014

The dog finds a large snake


I was not thinking reptile when I peeked under the deck's steps to see what Freddie wanted me to see while she barked, barked barked.


I thought Freddie had cornered one of the neighbor cats that like to wander through our yard. It is one of Freddie's favorite games.

When we say "cat," Freddie runs to the door ready to go outside to chase the interloper over the fence.  I think the cats like the game too.

When the barking didn't stop, I used the water hose to spray under the steps. That is a surefire way to get the cats to leave. Still, no cat dashing.

The barking continued, so I thought maybe it was an opossum. Freddie has found them before much to her dog-brain delight.

So not wanting to face the teeth of a cornered possum, I was cautious when I looked under the steps.

Snake! Big snake!

I prefer my snakes small and fleeing.

This was a stand-your-ground snake.

My best guess from a quick snapshot is an Eastern Yellow-Bellied Racer.

We made Freddie stay indoors the rest of the evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment