Monday, September 2, 2013

Mushroom Surprise!


This mushroom is about 8 inches in diameter and has a caramel lacquered color on the cap.  After a little research, I found that it may be a Ganoderma lucidum and called "Artist's Conk" because it's "underlayer (hymenium) is white and can be drawn upon.  As the pores are crushed, a browning reaction occurs, thus allowing the artist to sketch an image."  (Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms, Paul Stamets, 2000,        pg. 352)  I've plucked a young growth from this spot several times and it becomes as hard as a plastic.  This time I decided to let it grow to it's maximum size.  I'll place a ruler by it for scale next time I take a photo.
Marilyn

2 comments:

  1. It's edible too! Chinese called it "King of the Mushrooms" and used it for all sorts of ailments.

    ReplyDelete