Thursday, July 18, 2013

Dad's truck comes home with me

All cleaned up and ready to head to a new home.
 My first pickup truck is my dad's hand-me-down 1997 Dodge.

It's red!

The four-wheel drive truck made many trips from Amarillo to my parents' cabin in New Mexico.

The past 10 years it has been my dad's extra truck. When family members needed a vehicle, Daddy let them borrow it for days, weeks or months. Most recently a niece was driving it while her car was in the shop, and she added the dent in the front bumper.

This spring my dad had decided to part with the longtime member of his car family. Before his death in June, he had been talking about getting the bumper fixed and buying new seat covers so he could sell the pickup.

"I want it," I told my mom after the funeral. "I would love to have Daddy's truck." She was happy the red truck would stay in the family.

During this next chapter of its life, the red truck will be going on Gulf Coast adventures. Now I will have a way to haul my kayak, which I had never figured out how get into my orange Honda Fit.

The truck and I got acquainted during the 10-hour drive from Amarillo with no problems. And although I spent a day cleaning the cab, it still smells a little like Daddy. That's a good thing. -- Lana b

No more snow days, Daddy's truck goes on new adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment